Feel Like Family

The Law Is Complicated. Working With Us Is Not.


Modifying Child Support And Custody Agreements In Indiana

Every family’s situation changes over time. A parent might remarry or lose their job; a child’s schedule may change as they get older. If you have a child support or custody agreement, you may need to file a modification with the court to reflect these changes.

At the Indianapolis law firm of Katzman & Katzman, P.C., we can help you modify an existing child support or child custody order. For more than 30 years, our attorneys have helped clients in Indiana with their family-related matters. We provide personal service and dedicated advocacy to families by helping them pursue modifications that meet their present needs.

Modifications To Existing Court Orders

A child support or custody order can be modified in Indiana when there has been a substantial and continuing change in circumstances. At our firm, we have helped clients secure modifications in a range of situations, including:

  • Increase in income of the custodial parent
  • Special needs of the child, such as ongoing medical expenses
  • Unemployment of the noncustodial parent
  • Work schedule changes that affect visitation
  • Plans to move out of state with the child
  • Changes in child care arrangements as a child gets older

It is important to note that the court that originally handled your child custody or support order retains jurisdiction. This means that you will have to go through that same court to make any modifications.

The Importance Of Officially Modifying Child Support And Custody

A modification may be retroactive to the date the petition was filed. Even if your child support could have been modified three years ago, the modification can only go back to the date you filed for the change. Therefore, it is essential that you file for modification as soon as possible.

Emancipation And Its Effects On Support Modifications

In Indiana, a child is emancipated by law at the age of 19, unless specific circumstances exist preventing the child’s emancipation. This means that they will no longer receive child support. However, they can still get support to further their education.

Your child can also be emancipated if he or she is under 19, capable of supporting himself or herself and not enrolled in higher education. In order to emancipate before turning 19, you may file a petition for emancipation.

If you have multiple children who require child support, any child over 19 must be emancipated before support can be modified. Child support will not automatically divide by the number of children involved. The court will lower the payments in an equitable manner so each child receives the support they need.

Let Us Assist You In Meeting The Needs Of Your Family

Whether you need an Indiana paternity lawyer or a divorce attorney, our firm can help. Contact our family law firm to discuss your modification with an experienced attorney.