Feel Like Family

The Law Is Complicated. Working With Us Is Not.


What Do I Do If I Want To Relocate With My Child?

Indiana law regarding child relocation has changed in recent years. In the past, a parent who wanted to move away with a child needed to file a notice of intent to relocate if he or she was moving 100 or more miles away. Now, any party involved in the child custody order must file and serve notice on the other party of their intent to relocate. Now, distance is not a factor. Whether you are moving across town or across the country, you will need to file and serve a notice of intent to relocate.

Whether you would like to relocate or oppose a parental relocation, a skilled relocation attorney from the law office of Katzman & Katzman, P.C., can assist you. Our attorneys have more than 30 years of experience protecting the rights of parents and the best interests of children.

Guidance Through The Relocation Decision And Its Effects On Your Family

As Indianapolis relocations lawyers, we are knowledgeable about the many ways in which custody modifications can occur. We are also knowledgeable about the steps a custodial parent must go through in order to relocate with his or her child or children. If you want to relocate with your child or children after a divorce, you must do the following:

  • File and serve a notice of relocation on the other party at least 90 days before your intended relocation
  • Include the following information in the notice: intended address, telephone number of new address, date of intended relocation, specific reasons for relocating, and a proposed modified custody and visitation schedule
  • Include in the notice a statement that the other parent must file any objection to the proposed relocation within 60 days of receiving the notice

If you are the parent who is not relocating, you can contest the relocation by filing a motion objecting to the relocation. Then, the parent who wants to relocate must show that the relocation is being made for a legitimate reason. If this can be proven, then the nonrelocating parent has the burden of proof to show that the relocation is not in the best interest of the child or children.

The best interest of the children will be considered by looking at:

  • The distance of the move
  • The travel expenses involved to comply with parenting time schedules
  • The ability to maintain the relationship between the nonrelocating parent and the children

We understand that parental relocation can be a contentious issue. We know that you care about and love your children and want to spend as much quality time with them as possible. If you have any questions about moving with your children or about how to contest a move, we can help.

Get The Relocation Information And Assistance You Need

Schedule an appointment with our family law attorneys to learn more about your options. For professional, experienced and client-focused family law representation, call us at 317-973-0881 or contact us online.